Maple Salmon Gravlax and Maple Gravlax Sauce
1 ea salmon fillet with skin on/pin bones out
1 cup maple sugar
½ cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons crushed white pepper
1/3 cup brandy
1 bunch fresh dill
2. Brush the salmon with brandy
3. Mix together maple sugar, pepper and kosher salt to create a rub. Then, rub evenly
over the salmon. The layer should be slightly thinner at the tail.
4. Cover with chopped dill.
5. Wrap the salmon in cheesecloth and place it in a perforated hotel pan set in a regular
hotel pan. Top with a second hotel pan, and place 5 lbs weight
6. Cure the salmon for 3 days under refrigeration.
7. After the 3rd day, scrape off the cure and slice thinly.
SAUCE INGREDIENTS: (16 oz)
8 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons maple vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons salmon gravlax marinade
¾ cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon chopped dill
1. Mix together mustards, sugar, vinegar and salmon gravlax marinade.
2. Add oil slowly as if you are making mayonnaise.
3. Add chopped dill.
4. Serve with marinated salmon.
Recipe by Daniel LaGarde, CEC, Executive Chef, Do More With Maple!
© 2009 Québec Delegation Chicago
source: M. Laport
Click here to download
and print a PDF version
of the recipe.